The program board administers the non-profit MMBP. The MMBP trains and educates beekeepers on new techniques, equipment, potential problems, and tips and tricks to improve their beekeeping skills. Participants serve as bee ambassadors to beginning beekeepers, the public and their communities by teaching and serving as Midwest Master Beekeeper Program volunteers, and may later choose to work as paid independent consultants.
Members of the 2018 non-profit (501 (c)) board* provide training for program participants, develop educational materials used in the program, create certification exams, and oversee all logistical and financial components of the program. They include:
- Dr. Moneen Jones, President, Treasurer, and Missouri Board Member
- James Rhein, Vice President and Arkansas Board Member
- Mike Crawford, Secretary and Kentucky Board Member
- Scott Carter, Illinois Board member
- Rich Wilson, Missouri Board member
- Jay Heselschwerdt, Tennessee Board Member
- Patrick Edwards, Arkansas Board member
These individuals are responsible for editing presentation materials and their representative books to include information with regards to their own state beekeeping management.
*We will be adding Iowa and Kansas board members soon.
The members of the original, advisory MMBP board developed in 2014 were:
- Moneen Jones, entomologist and MMBP director; email@example.com
- James Ellis, associate professor of entomology, Department of Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert Sears, apiarist and President, Eastern Missouri Beekeepers Association, email@example.com
- Sam Crowe, Missouri commercial beekeeper for 35 years; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Smith, Director Missouri Farm Bureau, email@example.com
- Gerald Hayes, Lead Entomologist, Beeologics, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neal Bergman, Commercial beekeeper for 35 years
The six levels of training and advancement in the Midwest Master Beekeeper Program are listed below, and their specific requirements can be found in the forms section of the website.
- Beginning Beekeeper
- Apprentice Beekeeper
- Journeyman Beekeeper
- Junior Master Beekeeper
- Master Trainer Beekeeper
- Certified Master Beekeeper